2020 seems to be the year of plant-based eruptions.
In January, more than 300,000 people supported the UK's "Vegetarian 2020" campaign. Many fast food restaurants and supermarkets in the UK have expanded their offerings into a popular plant-based movement. Innova Market Insights also listed "plant-based revolution" as the second trend in 2020; At the same time, Nelson's report shows that on top of last year's sales of plant-based foods of more than US$3.3billion, which is expected to exceed US$5billion by 2020.
The plant base is mainly supported by various plant proteins. What is the situation of vegetable protein market across the world? What are the driving forces behind plant protein development? What are the future application trends of plant protein in 2020? Please follow me to find out.
1. Global market for plant protein
According to Markets and Markets, the global plant protein Markets is expected to be worth US$18.5 billion in 2019, It is expected to grow at a CAgr of 14.0% starting in 2019 and reach US$40.6 billion by 2025. Plant-based protein products are derived from plants such as soybeans, wheat and peas. Plant protein applications include protein drinks, dairy substitutes, meat substitutes, protein bars, nutritional supplements, processed meat, poultry and seafood, baking, food and sports nutrition products. Plant protein applications can enhance the nutritional and functional properties of the product, such as texture, emulsifying properties, solubility, stability and adhesion etc.
The application of plant protein in new food and beverage products has also been increasing in the world. According to Innova's Global New Product Database, which tracks plant protein claims of new food and beverage products worldwide, between 2014 and 2018, the proportion of them continued growing, with the exception of North America, the Middle East and Africa. Despite the decline in North America, the share of new product releases in North America remains one of the world's leading, accounting for 15.4% of total new product releases in 2018. Plant protein claims in Asia were the most significant increase, accounting for 13.4% of all new releases in 2018, an increase of 2.4% from 2014.
2. Market Driving Force of Plant Protein
1）Increased number of new releases
In food and beverage industry, more and more new products will use plant protein as the main highlight of the product. According to innova Market Insights, new food and beverage releases with plant protein claims were tracked globally at a CAgr of + 9 % between 2014 and 2018.
2）Change of consumer eating habits, advocating " clean " diet
Consumers pay more attention to food sources, and plants are what they consider " clean " sources. The trend toward a " clean diet " is largely driven by millennials who prefer healthy, ethical, natural, less processed foods.
On the other hand, consumers' eating habits are gradually changing, they are reducing meats and more prone to vegetation protein. In the uk, the " vegetarian 2020 " campaign was supported by over 300,000 people and many fast-food restaurants and supermarkets in the UK have expanded their offerings to take part in a popular plant-based movement.
3）Large enterprises invest in vegetable protein market
Shandong Kawah Oils
Wonderful Industrial Group
Xinrui Group – Shandong Kawah Oils invetsted USD 45,000,000 in 2016 to establish 4 soy protein isolate production lines with the output of 6000 tons annually based on the 12- year-old soybean oil extracting factory.
China had the largest capacity to process as much as 79 percent of global soy protein isolate, the total capacity is 500000 t/y and the actual producing amount in total is 350000t in 2019.
ADM (US) and DuPont (US) are the two giants in the global market. These companies have made expansion and investment the main strategy for expanding their market in plant protein. In January 2019, ADM expanded its presence in Brazil with the construction of a new soy protein production base in Campo Grande, South Mato Grosso State, Brazil, valued at USD 250,000,000. The company will produce a range of functional protein concentrates and isolates for ADM's current product line.
3. Application Trend of Plant Protein
1）Soy protein is expected to dominate the market in the next 5 years, with the emerging of pea and oat protein as the new trend.
Soy protein is widely used in the food and beverage industry due to the demand for high protein diet and the increasing popularity of soy protein. In a survey of plant protein sources by Aritzon in 1919, soy protein topped the list at US $3.12 billion. According to Innova data, soy protein was the leading ingredient in food and beverage new products announced by plant protein between 2014 and 2018, with 9% of related new products adopted. Soy protein helps lower cholesterol levels, improves metabolism, bone density, and can also reduce the risk of cancer. Soy protein isolate can be used in nutrition bars, meat substitutes, baking products, sports nutrition products and beverages, etc.
Apart from soy, pea protein consumption has increased rapidly in recent years. Global pea protein consumption has doubled from 2015, according to data from food company technical adviser enk Hoogenkamp, to 275000 tons, by 2020. Its consumption will grow 30% to 580000 tons by 2025.
Oat protein is also a kind of great potential plant protein. Oat contents 19% of protein, oat protein is rich in amino acids and essential amino acids, is a high-quality nutritional protein. Oat milk is a newly developed non-dairy vegetable milk. There are many functional similarities between oat milk and milk. Both are creamy and have a smooth texture and consistency. According to Mintel data, the European market in April 2017 to March 2018 listed new products, oat-based drinks and yogurt accounted for 14.8 percent, compared with 9.8 percent a year earlier.
2）Protein ssolate expected to dominate plant protein market in the next 5 years
Protein Isolate contains high Protein content and digestibility. Protein isolates are widely used in protein- and nutrition-related applications such as sports nutrition, protein drinks, and nutritional supplements. In recent years, because of its different functional characteristics, it has been widly used in a variety of beverages and dairy products to cater for athletes, body builders, vegetarians.
3) Sports nutrition, snacks are the application trend
Sports nutrition products and snacks are the trend for future applications. According to Innova Market Insights, the Global New Product Database tracks the launch of a new food and beverage product with plant protein claims, The growth of sports nutrition category is the most obvious, with an average annual compound growth rate of 32% from 2014 to 2018, followed by snack, with an average annual cgr of 14%.
Protein nutrition bar originally belongs to sports nutrition, with the upgrading of consumer awareness, it gradually moved closer to the category of snacks. Today, protein bars are not just for athletes, but also for the average consumer looking for a nutrient bar for breakfast or a daily snack.
The Application of Plant Protein in Protein Nutrition Bar in Recent Years：
BEKIND Nuts bar
PhD Nutrition Bar
64g (per piece) contains 23g vege protein.
Probar Energy Bar
Each Probar contains 1 billion 10 active probiotics and 10g of vege protein.
Dang Nutrition Bar
Each bar has 9-10g of vegetable protein, gluten free.
Blake’s Protein Bar
2020 seems to be the year of plant-based eruptions and the Nutrition Bar is the most popular in snack. Mars launched the BEKIND nut bar, aiming at post-exercise energy supplement and meal replacement scene in Dec., 2019, also trends to Chinese New Year snack gift pack. Can plant protein follow the trend and stack up in nutrition bars? We'll see.
1. Plant-based Protein Market by Type (Isolates, Concentrates, Protein Flour), Application (Protein Beverages, Dairy Alternatives, Meat Alternatives, Protein Bars, Processed Meat, Poultry & Seafood, Bakery Product), Source, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025，Markets and Markets
2. Creation of Plant Protein, Innova Market Insights
3. PLANT-BASED PROTEIN MARKET GLOBAL OUTLOOK & FORECAST 2020−2025，Arizton.
soy protein isolate is known to be a good source of nutrition for the body. What are the advantages of soybean protein isolate? What does the future hold for SPI?
l What is soy protein isolate
l What are the benefits of soy protein isolate
l What is the future research direction of soy protein isolate
Soy protein powder is a nearly purified protein obtained from soybeans extracted from soybeans through a series of processing steps. soy protein isolate contains eight essential amino acids, which are similar to meat, fish, eggs, and milk, and belong to full-price protein.
After refined processing, soybean protein powder has high nutritional value, but the uses are different. Generally speaking, the molecular weight of soybean protein is relatively large, the digestion process is slightly more complicated, and it is more suitable for ordinary people to supplement nutrition; while the molecular weight of whey protein is relatively small, which is more suitable for the elderly, children and people recovering from illness.
Since the natural soybean protein isolate functional properties are not prominent, it is difficult to meet the different requirements of protein functional properties in food systems. To this end, some methods are needed to improve the functional properties of soybean protein isolate, so that it can be used in a variety of food systems. The modification of SPI is to essentially change the functional properties of soybean protein isolate through physical, chemical, enzymatic or genetic engineering methods, so as to achieve the required quality characteristics of food and expand the application scope of soybean protein isolate in the field of food. The hydrolysate prepared by enzymatic modification of SPI not only has improved functional properties, but also has improved nutritional value. Because of its more obvious advantages, enzymatic modification is considered to be a potential modification method and has become a research hotspot.
If you are looking for a good quality and reasonable price of soybean protein isolate products,Xinrui Group can provide you with the best
Soy dietary fiber is derived from the cell wall material of soybean cotyledon. It is composed of a complex matrix of insoluble fiber, soluble fiber and protein. In many products like ice cream, bread food and drink etc. Soy dietary fiber can increase final products' water-binding ability and formability. Soya dietary fibre is wildly used in Nutritional food, Dietary food, Fast food, Seasoning products, Meat products, Bread and so on.
Application: meat products, quick-frozen products, bakery, tomato sauce, ketchup, heath products, fat-free food, low-fat and low-sugar food and high fiber food.
- Good color and luster, excellent flavor.
- Excellent water-holding and expansibility. To enhance moisture and defer aging when added into the food.
- Excellent property of emulsifying, suspension and thickening.
Packing: 20kgs per plastic-paper bag with separate inner PE liner.
Keep from rain and humidity during transportation and storage, forbidden to pack or store with other odorants.
Best temperature for storage is below 25, keep ventilation and dryness.
Shelf life is 12 months.
Vital Wheat Gluten is one of the most popular healthy foods. What role does wheat gluten play in the food industry? What are the advantages of organic wheat gluten
l What is organic wheat gluten
l What is the use of organic wheat gluten in food
l What are the health effects of organic wheat gluten
Vital Wheat Gluten has unique properties and is widely used in the food industry and feed industry for the preparation of edible films, bioactive small peptides and other products. Gluten flour, also known as active gluten flour and wheat gluten protein, is a natural protein extracted from wheat (flour). It is composed of a variety of amino acids. The protein content is as high as 75% to 85%. It is a nutrient-rich vegetable protein resource. It has viscosity, elasticity, extensibility, film formability and liposuction. Gluten is an excellent dough improver, which is widely used in the production of bread, noodles and instant noodles. It is used as a water-retaining agent in meat products, and it is also the basic raw material of high-grade aquatic feed.
1. The application of organic wheat gluten in bread flour can significantly improve the water absorption rate of dough, increase dough elasticity, air retention, dough kneading resistance and stability, and significantly improve the internal structure and baking quality of bread. And due to the high protein content of gluten, Maillard reaction often occurs during the baking process, resulting in an attractive aroma, which can improve the quality of bread.
2. organic wheat gluten can also improve the elasticity of foods. For example, after adding gluten to the fish cake, the gluten is restored to a ductile gluten network structure due to water absorption. After kneading, it is evenly mixed with the fish meat. Through heating, the gluten continuously absorbs water and heat denatures, strengthening the fish cake. The elasticity of the sausage; the use of gluten denatured by reducing agents or enzymes in the production of sausage products can enhance the elasticity of sausages.
3. Using wheat gluten as raw material, the edible film prepared has the characteristics of good mechanical properties, edible and degradable properties, and is often used as the substrate of edible film. Studies have shown that the edible film made from gluten has an ideal fresh-keeping effect.
The traditional view holds that protein plays a nutritional role in food, and protein can only be absorbed and utilized by the human body after it is decomposed into free amino acids. However, in recent years, studies have found that after digestion in the human body, proteins are mostly in the form of small peptides composed of 2-7 amino acid molecules, and then directly absorbed by the intestinal tract, and the proportion of amino acids absorbed is very small. At present, the extraction of bioactive small peptides from gluten has become a hot spot in functional food research.
If you are looking for a good quality and reasonable price of Vital Wheat Gluten,Xinrui Group can provide you with the best.
Isolated soy protein is a complete, high-quality, plant-based protein.It is a great solution for meat replacement without compromising quality, nutrition and functionality. Also it is cholesteral-free, low in saturated fat and carbohydrates, which makes it very attractive to health- conscious cousumers. Soy protein now are widely used in meat products such as hot dog, sausages, ham and fish products.
Application: high-temperature meat products, such as hot dog, sausages, ham, meat balls, meat paddies, fish balls, etc.
- Good water preserving capability to preserve water and gravy of meat products, keep the taste and flavor of meat products; enhance water absorption of baked food, hold water of food, reduce shrinkage and prolong its freshness period.
- Good gel agglutinative property to hold water, flavor and sugar of food by gel texture of protein; give products better elasticity, improve texture and sliceability of products.
- Good emulsification to accelerate the forming of oil-water emulsion, prevent oil droplets from separating, stabilize the emulsion. This can increase the yields of products, reduce costs, and make the preserving capability of water and oil 1:5:5(1 unit of protein can absorb 5 unit of water and 5 unit of oil or fat).
- Good liquidity, high viscosity etc.
Packing: 20kg/bag, Paper-plastic bag with lining
- prevent goods from rain and humidity during transportation and storage, forbidden to pack or store with other odorants.
- best temperature for storage is below 25Celsius, keep ventilation and dryness.
- shelf life is 12 months.
Why are soy fiber dietary thought to be so good for health? What are the characteristics of soy dietary fiber? What is the function of SPI?
l What is soy dietary fiber?
l What are the soy dietary fiber used for
l What are the health effects of soy dietary fiber
soybean dietary fiberary mainly refers to the general term for macromolecular carbohydrates that cannot be digested by human digestive enzymes, mainly including cellulose, pectin, xylan, mannose, etc. Although dietary fiber cannot provide any nutrients to the human body, it has important physiological functions for the human body. Dietary fiber has the functions of significantly reducing plasma cholesterol, regulating gastrointestinal function and insulin level.
The biological activity of soybean dietary fiberary, regulating blood lipids, lowering cholesterol, soybean dietary fiberary has the ability to bind and exchange cations, and can exchange ca2+, pa2+, etc. During ion exchange, the instantaneous concentration of cations is changed, which plays a role in dilution, so it affects the pH value, osmotic pressure and redox site of the digestive tract, forming an ideal buffer environment. More importantly, it can exchange with NA+ in the intestinal tract, prompting a large amount of K+ and NA+ to be eliminated from the urine and feces, thereby reducing the NA+/K+ value in the blood and directly reducing blood pressure. Therefore, the prevention and treatment of high blood pressure, heart disease and arteriosclerosis is closely related to the excretion of cholesterol and bile acid and dietary fiber. The water-soluble dietary fiber in soybean fiber has the effect of significantly reducing blood cholesterol concentration.
SPI can inhibit and regulate the increase of insulin and blood sugar levels in patients with impaired glucose tolerance. It can promote the absorption of water in the gastrointestinal tract of the human body, delay the absorption of glucose, and at the same time make people feel full, which is beneficial for diabetic and obese patients to eat. It can improve the function of the large intestine.
If you are looking for a good quality and reasonable price of soy dietary fiber products,Xinrui Group can provide you with the best
With the deepening of people's understanding of healthy food, Soy Protein Isolate is more and more popular. What are some examples of SPI applications in the food industry? What are the advantages of Soy Protein Isolate?
l What is Soy Protein Isolate?
l Application of Soy Protein Isolate in Meat Products
l Application of Soy Protein Isolate in Baked Food
Soybean protein isolate is a full-value protein food additive produced from low-temperature desolubilized soybean meal.Soy Protein Isolate is an important vegetable protein product, which is rich in nutrients and does not contain cholesterol. One of the varieties of protein, it has been widely used in food and other industries, and its protein content is as high as 90%. The digestibility and utilization rate can reach 93% to 97%. Soybean protein isolate contains 8 kinds of essential amino acids and some amino acids exceed the standard recommended by F A O /WHO. It is mainly composed of 11S and 7S globulin, and the protein composition is essential Eight kinds of amino acids are relatively balanced, especially lysine content is the highest.
At the same time, SPI also contains a lot of essential fatty acids, phospholipids, and minerals such as calcium and phosphorus that are beneficial to human health, and does not contain cholesterol. Its efficacy ratio is higher than that of meat. When mixed with other foods, it can significantly improve the nutritional value of the original food.
1. Minced meat products belong to the general public meat products, and the use of Soy Protein Isolate is small. For minced meat products such as meat patties, minced meatballs, dumplings and steamed buns, they are usually processed by roasting, frying, steaming and boiling. The processing temperature is high. It has good oil absorption properties.
2. Soy Protein Isolate can be used as an additive to improve product texture (reduce free fat). It can not only produce meat-like taste, but also enhance water holding capacity, reduce pie cooking shrinkage, improve yield, and reduce costs. At the same time, it can improve the nutritional value of the product.
When producing bread, adding no more than 5% Soy Protein Isolate can increase the volume of bread, improve the color of the skin, and have obvious effects on the sensory quality and nutritional value of bread (for example, it can make bread products The protein content increases, the volume increases, the texture is soft, the flavor is good, and the nutritional supplementation effect is obvious), and the shelf life of the product can also be extended; but if the amount of Soybean protein isolate added is too large (8%-12%), it will affect The tissue state and sensory quality of the bread will reduce the volume of the bread, thicken the skin, deepen the color, and harden the texture, and the effect is not good. Therefore, when using, the amount of Soybean protein isolate should be paid attention to.
If you are looking for a good quality and reasonable price of soybean protein isolate products,Xinrui Group can provide you with the best
It is known that hydrolyzed wheat protein is good for the body, but what exactly does it do? What are the advantages of Wheat Protein Isolates? Why is hydrolyzed wheat protein good for health?
l What is hydrolyzed wheat protein
l What is the function of hydrolyzed wheat protein
l What are the characteristics of hydrolyzed wheat protein
What is hydrolyzed wheat protein
1. Wheat contains about 13% protein, mainly composed of albumin, globulin, gliadin and glutenin, while wheat gluten mainly contains gliadin and gluten. Protein, collectively known as storage protein (80% of the dry basis of wheat protein).
2. Due to the ductility of gliadin and the elasticity of glutenin, it can form a network structure with water, so it has excellent viscoelasticity, extensibility, water absorption, liposuction and emulsification, film forming properties, and light and mellow aroma or slightly grainy unique physical properties such as taste.
What is the function of hydrolyzed wheat protein
wheat proteins can be divided into monomeric proteins (consisting of one peptide chain) and aggregated proteins (consisting of two or more peptide chains) according to the number of peptide chains constituting the protein. About 85% of the aggregate protein is glutenin, and the monomeric protein is mainly composed of gliadin, albumin and globulin. Albumin and globulin are mainly deposited in the embryo and aleurone layer, and a small part exists in the endosperm, with a molecular mass of 12-60 kDa, containing more lysine, tryptophan and methionine, which are the most important components in the cell. The enzyme protein is involved in various metabolisms, and the nutritional balance is better, which determines the nutritional quality of wheat.
What are the characteristics of hydrolyzed wheat protein
1. The relative molecular mass of wheat gliadin is 27000-28000. It is a kind of polymer with the highest solubility in 60%-70% ethanol, but insoluble in absolute ethanol. It is slightly soluble in water, can be dissolved in dilute formic acid, propionic acid, benzene, alcohol, p-toluene glacial acetic acid solution, also can be dissolved in weak acid and weak base solution, its isoelectric point is 6.41～7.1. The amino acid composition of wheat gliadin is quite complete, in which the content of glutamic acid is as high as 38.87%, so wheat gluten is often used to prepare MSG.
2. Glutenin is insoluble in water and alcohol, and it is difficult to separate when combined with gliadin. It is slightly soluble in hot ethanol, but after cooling, it becomes flocculent and precipitates. Only newly prepared glutenin that has not been dried is very easy to dissolve. In weak bases and weak acids, and precipitate out during neutralization. Wheat albumin is 0.3% to 0.4% of the mass of the grain, and its isoelectric point is 4.5 to 4.6.
If you are looking for a good quality and reasonable price of hydrolyzed wheat protein,Xinrui Group can provide you with the best